Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Last Letter (Nora Keshk, Visionaries)


The Last Letter

It had been thirty-three days since Logan had passed away, and fifty-two days since Jamie watched him abandon the paper she now held in her hand.

Jay Bug,
I've lost count of the days since the doctors told me that I have cancer; I'm fighting a battle that I'll never win. If you're reading this, then the fight is over. I'm gone. But please don't think I didn't give it my best shot.
If feels kind of weird to be sitting here writing this, when I could walk twenty steps down the hallway, take you in my arms, and tell you everything I want to say. But you know I'm no good with words; I stutter and stumble all the time, and never say what I really want to. In a few months, after I'm gone, you can take this letter out and read it over and over again, and know just how much I loved you.
I fell for you the very first time I saw you with the silly hat perched on the top of your head, and the only safety net that was capable of catching me was your arms. I had no idea what I was thinking about when I left that note on your car; I wasn't thinking straight, all I knew was that I needed to see you again.
Do you remember our first date? It was what I'd call a beautiful disaster – you were beautiful, I was a disaster – but somehow it worked out.
These past months we've lived together have been the best months of my life, and I suppose that's what counts because they're also my last months. If I could spend a bit longer with you, I would. I would stay forever. There's only one comfort that comes from this, and that is when I told you that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you, you know I meant it; I just never expected it to end so soon.
There are so many things that we haven't done yet, too many things to write here; things I never knew I wanted till I met you.
Jamie, I'm sorry I can't fight this anymore, sorry that I can't stick around any longer and sorry that we couldn't grow old together. If my love to you could save me, I'd live forever.
You'll move on with your life and love again; don't put your life on hold to grieve for me.
There's so much more I want to say, but I don't have long enough to write it all down; all I really want is to hold you and dance with you at least one last time. When it happens, I know our last dance will be as beautiful as our first one.
We have shared a love story, not quite a fairy tale, but it's been my favorite love story by far.
- Logan

She wanted to read it over and over again, but she couldn't; her tears were like tsunami tides threatening to wash the words away, like the inhabitants of some small island.



No comments:

Post a Comment